Monday, September 1, 2008

WSC55 OCCC Big Top Birthday


This big top birthday card was created using sketch challenge WSC55 and the OCCC challenge to create a birthday card. Anybody smell popcorn?

The elephant's stand and the birthday hat are hand drawn. Let me show you how I did the Big Top roof and the crowd. This is lengthy (for me) so I made the pics smaller. You can click on them to enlarge if you need to.










BIG TOP FIRST PIC: For the roof, I noticed that this card was just the right width for my widest Nestie. I stuck the cardstock through the Nestie and cut just the one edge. I found the center and drew pencil lines from the highest point of the curves on the lower edge to roughly the center of the top. I didn't want the center of the top to be a point so I didn't measure this too precisely.



BIG TOP SECOND: I alternated coloring the strips red and leaving them white. I also cut off the excess white triangle that was left on either side. The Big Top is now ready for the card.





CROWD FIRST: I marked a pencil line across the top area where I want the "crowd" to end. I wanted the curve of the circus ring to show across the bottom. I scanned across my craft area and spotted a foam plate (use these every time I paint). The foam plate was the perfect curve so I traced the edge with a black marker. Next I picked a few pastel shades of Copic markers and randomly colored little circles all over the crowd area. Next I embossed all these little circles by coloring over them with a Virsamark embossing pen, covering with embossing powder, and finally heating with the heat gun.



CROWD SECOND: Now that all the audience member are protected from ink (Ha!), I sponged Blue Bayou all over the crowd area. When I was done, I used a papertowel to wipe any remaining ink off the embossed areas.

Give it a try!!!

(You'll notice that this project didn't have the center panel cut out ahead of time like I ususally do. I got carried away and almost forgot that detail. I had to go back and cut out the center panel after I had inked. I hate to cut second because I've already go to much time invested. I got lucky this time and made the cut successfully!)


Stamps: My Favorite Things It's a Jungle Out There, Hanna Stamps Things Hanna Would Say
Paper: Real Red, Whisper White, GP 110
Ink: Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa
Accessories: Nesties, Copics, Prismacolor Pencils & Baby Oil, Virsamark pen, clear embossing powder, heat gun




Enjoy!
Michelle B.

3 comments:

JenMarie said...

W O W ! ! !

Andrea said...

wow, it's a great idea.

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

That is so awesome how it fit perfectly. Fabulous card!