Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another Scarecrow & Creating Perspective



This weeks OCCC was a sketch challenge – my favorite! Yipee! I was inspired by the example done by Lynda Benden. I saw “wind” in her swirled rhinestones and I ran with it. I received this fabulous High Hopes image from Inkstazonme (Thanks Miss Ink!) over at the PIF Images thread.

I didn’t think I had anything to offer for this weeks Limited Supplies Challenge (show a simple technique) as I figure I learned everything from you guys anyway. But after this piece was complete, I thought maybe someone might be interested to know how I created the perspective in the field (how the angle of the rows of dirt appear to lead you far off into the distance). I already had a tutorial on my blog so I nervously submitted this piece for that challenge as well. Even if you are not heavily into scene stamping like me, you could use this technique to draw a simple sidewalk in front of an image of a store, café, or house (the example on my blog is a sidewalk). Here is my original tutorial.

In this particular example, I used masking and sponging to create the rows in the field. I also set the point I pivoted from under the scarecrow rather than right in the middle of the piece. This draws your eye right to him rather than away from him. (and it covers up the messy point where all the lines come together! Ha!)

Whenever you are creating perspective remember a few simple rules:
1. Objects closer to you are bigger, more brightly colored, and more detailed.
2. Objects further away are smaller, less brightly colored, and have less details.
ETA # 3. Always be watchful of where your main image will go and what is immediately behind it (in other words: make sure you don't have any weird tree branch sticking out of a pretty lady's head or anything!)

One more note on this card, after stamping the wind and leaves they just weren't showing up very well against that brown. So, I got out my trusty white gel pen and drew around the top right of the leaves. Then I grabbed my trusty fine black marker and drew around the bottom left of the leaves and swirls. NOW you can see them!

Stamps: High Hopes Guard Duty Rudy, Lovely as a Tree, PTI Out on a Limb Revised, Autumn Leaves Swirls V I
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Whisper White
Ink: Soft Sky, Baja Blue, Summer Sun, Tangerine Tango, Old Olive, Close to Cocoa, Creamy Caramel, Ruby Red, More Mustard
Accessories: Copics, Prismacolor Pencils & Baby Oil, White Gel Pen, fine black marker


Enjoy!
Michelle B.

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a FABULOUS card! The entire thing is amazing! I have never thought to use lovely as a tree to make a background like that either... great idea!