Thursday, September 11, 2008

SC193 Scarecrow


A scarecrow in a field of sunflowers is what I choose for sketch challenge SC193.

I received this fabulous scarecrow image from Tamijo (Thanks Tami!) over at the PIF Images thread.

I did my usual trick of cutting out all the pieces first and sticking them onto a Cricut mat before inking. I also colored with Copics and then shaded with Primacolor pencils and baby oil. I was stumped when it came to the plaid shirt. I’m far to lazy to shade every square independently so I ended up shading the entire shirt with Dark Brown. I did the same on the yellow straw hat. I love the aged feel it gave. I’ll be doing this again!

I also love how the 3 pieces of twine give a fence effect.


I didn’t have a sunflower stamp so I had to improvise with my MFT sets and some punches (see pic). For the stems, I used the branch from My Favorite Things It’s a Jungle Out There plus the leaves from My Favorite Things Can Ya Dig It?. I added lots of extra leaves to fill in. For the flowers, I punched out a small flower with the Boho Blossoms punch. I colored the center in a bit to add depth. Finally, I added a ¼” chocolate chip circle to the center to finish.

Stamps: High Hopes Pumpkin Patch Pete, MFT It’s a Jungle Out There (sunflower stems), MFT Can Ya Dig It? (sunflower leaves)
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Bazzill, GP 110
Ink: Old Olive, Close to Cocoa, Creamy Caramel, Soft Sky, Blue Bayou
Accessories: Copics, Prismacolor Pencils & Baby Oil, pop dots, twine from Mike’s, ¼” circle punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, Aquapainter (to get some sky color between all those stems!)


Enjoy!
Michelle B.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I saw this one on SCS... its great! I was wondering exactly how you made your sunflowers!