Thursday, August 7, 2008

St. Louis = Hot in the Summer



ETA: This card won a MFT September 2008 Ambassador spot. You can read the announcement here.

I live just outside St. Louis and it was about 100 degrees all last week! So, Hot in the Summer equals St. Louis for me. This was created for the MFT September Guest Designer challenge MFGD09.

The St. Louis Arch was created by using my Cricut to cut out a letter U. I turned it upside down and traced it to get my shape. I colored it as usual. I even remembered the windows at the top!

I tried a new technique on this card. I colored with Copics AND Prismacolor pencils on the dog, skirt, and hat. I found the instructions here.

And now for another painting trick. How did I know what angle to draw those lines on the sidewalk? Well first you find the center point of your center "horizon" line. Top to bottom, that is where the sky meets the ground (gotta ignore the buildings here). Left to right, its in the center. In this piece it is the where the center building meets the grass. Put the top of your ruler there and pretend it is stuck there on a brad so that the bottom can swing left to right but the top cannot move. Now move the bottom of the ruler left or right and draw your lines. Here's an illustration:

Stamps: MFT Going Places, MFT Can Ya Dig It?, MFT Gone to the Dogs
Paper: Night of Navy, Bazzill Red, SU DP
Ink: Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, Old Olive
Accessories: Cricut, Copics, Prismacolor Pencils & Baby Oil, White Gel Pen, fine Black marker
Time: Probably 2 hours (lots of starts and stops...busy day)

Enjoy!
Michelle

4 comments:

JenMarie said...

OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh......

Carolyn Bounds said...

This is gorgeous!!!! I hope you get the guest designer spot because your work is INCREDIBLE!!!

Linsey R said...

super cool card, Michelle! I hope you win the mft contest! hugs and tfs! :)

Janette said...

Michelle- this is wonderful! Thanks for the tutorial and I want you to know that I now have a new nickname for you- "the Queen of the Scene" LOL