Monday, August 4, 2008

Celebrate in the City



Spent the weekend at Table Rock Lake (Branson, Missouri) so I’m trying to get caught up on some great challenges that I missed over the weekend! This was created for challenge MFTSC42 (although I hope you don’t mind that I had to do the sketch in mirror image to use this stamp set).

I’m loving the “billboard” in the lower right corner! I’m also loving how the plane appears to be up on pop dots but its really flat. This effect is a result of the white gel pen highlights and a grey shadow underneath (my favorite trick lately).

I created the illusion of a large city by color and repeat stamping. I learned this little trick from painting landscapes…..Things that are closer in the front are more detailed and vibrantly colored. Things that are further away have less detail and are softer colored. That’s exactly the rules I used when I created this city. I only cared that the close buildings were stamped perfectly. I also highlighted each and every window of the close buildings with my white gel pen. For the buildings futher back, I stamped off on scratch paper before I stamped onto my card to produce a lighter and less perfect image. I used a lighter greay for each row of buildings as I moved “further away”. I’ve even colored with my lightest grey copic in areas where there is no stamping at all for some really faint, far away buildings.

Time: 30 minutes messing up figuring out how to layer those buildings and then 90 minutes on the actual card you see here.
Stamps: MFT Going Places
Ink: Soft Sky
Paper: Bazzill Red
Accessories: Copics, White Gel Pen, Cricut

Enjoy!
Michelle B.

No comments: