Friday, April 30, 2010

Fairy in a Frame

Lots of different inspirations coming together again for this vintage fairy picture frame. I actually started to create a frame for a picture that was accented by these cute images from Fairy Whimsey but these images were so lovely, I decided to make them center stage.

To get started, I cut out 4 of the large Labels 8 Nestie in Soft Suede. The first two just get adhered together to make a strong back of the frame. The second two get the center cut out with a Nestie oval shape (cut one and then lay it over the top of the other and cut again so that they line up exactly). The 4th piece also gets cut apart at the corners, embossing (lay the pieces in the embossing folder so the "grain" all goes the same direction), sponging, and then adhered to the 3rd piece with the oval cut out of it. Did that make any sense? This treatment was inspired by this Faux Wood Frame tutorial.
Now I had to "invent" some way for my frame to stand up. I cut a piece of Soft Suede into a 3 x 3" square. I scored it at 1" intervals. I cut about 3/4" off the left and right at the top so there was just a tab in the center. I cut from the outside corner in to the tab to form the angled sides. It wasn't quite sturdy enough so I cut another 1 x 2" piece of Soft Suede. I scored it at 1/2" and 1 1/2".
I adhere the small piece inside the larger piece to add some stability.

The main Vanilla panel is cut in an oval shape (make sure its one sizer LARGER than the oval you cut out of the frame so you have some area to attach it with). The images are stamped in Chocolate Chip and colored with Copics. I sponged just a hint of River Rock across the colored areas and around the edges. I then used the Cracked Glass technique on this panel. (My DS loves to "break" these!)

Now I just need to assemble everything. I used small dimensional dots on the edges of the frame because the main panel was so think with UTEE. Here is a pic of the back (I am really proud of how neat it looks!)

I don't usually have the patience to design an original 3-D piece that actually works so I was pretty proud of myself!

Stamps: Artful INKables Fairy Whimsey
Paper: Soft Suede, Very Vanilla
Ink: River Rock, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Copics, Nesties, Distressed Stripes Embossing Folder, Ultra Thick Embossing Powder, Versamark pad


Enjoy!
Michelle B.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful Michelle!!!

Crystal said...

Gorgeous Frame Michelle...love the texture..Thanks for the fabby tutorial too!! Hugs1

Lisa Foster said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!
Hugs,
Lisa

The Other Patti Sue said...

Amazing!Beautiful work!

Emily Leiphart said...

This is stunning! Love your original stand and your image beneath the 'cracked glass' is beautiful!

Sue from Oregon said...

oh how sweet!

Hetty said...

Oooooh, this is just too sweet! And thanks for the tutorial!

Boni Boutelle-Jones said...

Love how this turned out!!