Sunday, January 29, 2012

Too Lazy to Color

I wanted to use this image for a birthday card for a family member who loves shopping. I didn't feel like coloring all that background. So, I was thinking that these were pretty nice straight lines in that background so maybe I could mask and sponge it all in. I think it worked great!
Here's the image with the sidewalk and brick wall already sponged. I'll show you how I did this on the window.
I used sticky notes to mask off the area outside the window. Notice that I let those black lines along the bottom and left side of the window show. You can never sponge right up to the edge of the sticky note....this little black line is just the right amount of spacing to keep you from having a white edge there.
I sponged in the blue ink. Its a little hard to see here but I ALWAYS start sponging on the sticky note and work in a circular motion towards the center of the image. This keeps me from getting any harsh areas of color. Everything is nice and softly faded.
Here's what it looks like when I remove the sticky notes.

And here's the finished product again. I paperpieced in the lady. For the sketch I used SCS Sketch Challenge #369. Oh, and I used a fine black marker to draw in the cracks in the sidewalk and a few bricks.

Stamps: My Favorite Things What A Girl Wants
Paper: Whisper White, GP110, Night of Navy, Basic Grey Marrakech DP
Ink: Momento Tuxedo Black, Basic Grey, Really Rust, Soft Sky
Accessories: Copics, Versamark, gold embossing powder, fine black marker, Crystal Stickles

Enjoy!
Michelle B.

No comments: